The Global Switchboard seeks a full-time Executive Director!
The next leader of The Global Switchboard is:
- A creative and dynamic manager with a passion for institution-building;
- A skilled convener and experienced fundraiser;
- A passionate advocate for social justice and a dignified life for everyone in our community.
About the Switchboard
The Global Switchboard (501(c)3) stewards a diverse network of people and organizations to transform the Pittsburgh region into a more globally engaged and equitable community. We do this by convening and supporting action-oriented coalitions, offering timely community programming related to the work of those coalitions, and generating data-driven assessments of global engagement in our region. We aim to bring people together in the pursuit of greater social justice in Pittsburgh and beyond.
The Global Switchboard seeks a full-time Executive Director (ED) to lead the organization. An ideal ED candidate brings a global perspective and keen intercultural awareness to local leadership and advocacy challenges. They have professional experience advancing equitable global engagement through activities that are inclusive, socially responsible, and attuned to the realities of structural injustice. Given the organization’s commitment to network stewardship, an ideal candidate demonstrates exceptional skills in facilitation and community building. To help further the strategic vision of The Global Switchboard, they bring polItical advocacy experience and have strong working relationships with leaders in local government. Relevant fields of experience include global education, immigrant and refugee inclusion, or local and international community development, among others.
The ED works collaboratively with the Board of Directors to set and execute vision and strategy for Switchboard development and to ensure the organization’s growth and financial stability.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish strategic direction – charts and commits to a course of action to accomplish a goal or vision after analyzing context and assumptions, taking into consideration resources, constraints, and organizational values.
- Sell the vision – passionately represents organizational strategy, creates a clear view of desired outcomes, and helps others imagine a future where the vision is realized.
- Influence others – uses appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to win acceptance of ideas or plans; modifies behavior and approach in response to tasks, situations, and individuals involved.
- Read the environment – analyzes and navigates organizational and community dynamics in establishing strategy, selling the vision, and influencing others.
- Mobilize a team – uses appropriate methods and interpersonal skills to develop, motivate and guide a team toward successful outcomes.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- (Inter)Cultural competence is essential!
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people and to build relationships which can be leveraged to benefit the organization.
- Strong organizational management skills with the ability to set and achieve strategic objectives and manage a budget.
- Demonstrated success working with a Board of Directors, including cultivating existing board relationships
- Strong written and verbal communication ability; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
- Energetic, adaptable, and innovative approach to organizational planning.
- Positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
This position is fully remote; candidates in, or familiar with, Pittsburgh preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
Starting salary is $72,000 / year with a competitive benefits package, including medical/dental/vision, retirement account matching, and a generous schedule of paid vacation and holidays.
The Global Switchboard’s compensation philosophy serves as a demonstration of the organization’s commitment to transparency and its employees. Starting salaries are based on a review of comparable positions in nonprofits in Allegheny County and relevant experience and qualification.
How to Apply
Email your resume, cover letter, and name and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Global Switchboard is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. Each person is evaluated on the basis of personal skill and on the basis of their ability to help the organization realize its vision and mission. The Global Switchboard’s policy regarding equal employment opportunity applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, job assignments, promotions, working conditions, scheduling, benefits, wage and salary administration, disciplinary action, termination, and social, educational, and recreational programs.
The Global Switchboard seeks new board members
The Global Switchboard is seeking enthusiastic and committed individuals to join our Board of Directors. Board members ensure that The Global Switchboard carries out its mission effectively and efficiently. As the governance body of the organization, the Board’s responsibilities include supporting the mission of The Global Switchboard, providing financial support and oversight, and ensuring strong governance.
The Global Switchboard’s Board members serve three (3) year terms. We are looking to grow our local Board into a national Board and so we encourage qualified individuals to apply without considerations for their locality. Special consideration will be given to candidates who possess qualifications in any of these areas:
- Financial management or investment
- Sustainable Development Goals
- Coalition building
To Apply, please email a resume to email@example.com.
The Global Switchboard is currently accepting applications for our 2021-2022 All for All AmeriCorps VISTA positions!
The All for All Coalition is a collaborative network, powered by The Global Switchboard, working to advance immigrant inclusion in the Pittsburgh region. Collectively, coalition members seek to build a regional movement that advances immigrant integration, removes barriers to success, and improves equity for all foreign-born residents including marginalized groups such as refugees, low-income individuals, and other under-resourced sub-populations.
The six member VISTA team is made up of positions corresponding to each of the Coalition’s subcommittees and strategic priority areas. Each VISTA member will work closely with the subcommittee chair, providing coordination support for their subcommittee. In addition, each member will be placed at a coalition member organization addressing distinct priority issues including supporting immigrants.
Some examples of projects that previous VISTA members have worked on are:
- Assisting economic development strategies as such as helping new entrepreneurs;
- Surveying our community members to learn about language access gaps in educational and health care systems;
- Developing webinars such as the “Renting for Refugees” to increase the number of affordable housing in the region;
- Supporting school programs for youth.
This job is fast-paced and requires regular collaboration with community partners. The work with the Global Switchboard and the All for All Coalition is remote, but each organization where the VISTA will be placed may have different requirements. Ideal candidates are resourceful, globally-minded, and comfortable with multitasking and managing several priorities.
More information about AmeriCorps VISTA program, as well descriptions for each of the positions and instructions to apply, can be found on the AmeriCorps website, please note that you will need to register and create an application profile in the MyAmeriCorps system in order to apply.