Communications Specialist (Full Time, 6 month contract)
The Global Switchboard seeks a full-time Communications Specialist for a 6 month contract beginning April 2021.
The Global Switchboard is a nonprofit organization that stewards a diverse network of people and organizations to transform the Pittsburgh region into a more globally engaged and equitable community. We utilize four tools to work towards our mission: a physical co-working space, a digital hub, a slate of programs and partnerships and a data-driven state of equitable global engagement project. Together, these tools help us bring people together, encourage collaboration, and support our network.
This is a short-term, project-based position that will work in partnership with The Global Switchboard leadership team to design, and initiate the implementation of, a comprehensive, integrated, and deliberate communications and digital presence strategy for the organization. A successful candidate is someone who is comfortable working both independently and collaboratively and has the ability to adjust to the demands of an evolving and iterative project.
- Work with Executive Director and Director of Operations to craft a comprehensive communications strategy for The Global Switchboard and our coalitions.
- Work with the Executive Director and Director of Operations to strategize and design the organization’s future digital presence.
- Lead the implementation of the communications and digital presence strategy.
- Work with the Executive Director and Program Coordinator to craft the messaging and narrative component of the State of Equitable Global Engagement project.
- Craft consistent messaging strategy, that tells the comprehensive story of the organization, that can be carried out by team members. Including, but not limited to, communications schedules, campaigns, templates, and core language.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Ability to work and coordinate with diverse and multi-disciplinary teams in a remote, virtual environment
- Excellent time management, priority setting skills
- Work independently, as well as part of a team
- Creative thinking with the ability to think outside of the box, problem solve
- High attention to detail
- High degree of flexibility
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including technical writing.
- Proficient with website design and construction, email marketing, and design software. Experience with WordPress and MailChimp preferred.
- If a candidate does not have all the required technical skills, there may be an opportunity to bring on short term contractors that will work under the direction of the Communications Specialist. Especially for technical writing and website design and construction.
Work Schedule: 6 month contract. Full-time. This position is fully remote, candidates in, or familiar with, Pittsburgh preferred.
Compensation: $2,800- $3,800/ month
The Global Switchboard’s compensation philosophy serves as a demonstration of the organization’s commitment to transparency and its employees. Starting salaries are determined by a set percentage range benchmarked on a review of nonprofits in Allegheny County.
To Apply: Email your resume, cover letter, relevant work samples, and list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Global Switchboard is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. Each person is evaluated on the basis of personal skill and merit. The Global Switchboard’s policy regarding equal employment opportunity applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, job assignments, promotions, working conditions, scheduling, benefits, wage and salary administration, disciplinary action, termination, and social, educational, and recreational programs.